Friday, September 21, 2007

The Boy Can Move!

Well, the cat is out of the bag, the beans have been spilt, the boy has shown his hand. He can crawl! Of course, whether or not he will choose to do it for himself is still up for debate. But today as I was trying to encourage John to actually go for his toys instead of whining and crying and flailing about until I give in and get the toys for him, he actually crawled. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. Seriously, so sad.

I laid down across the room and was stretching my arms out to John, just beyond his reach. My hope was that he would move from the seated position he was in, onto his tummy and actually make an attempt to crawl. Well, just as he fell over to his tummy, the mail lady came up on our porch. This normally wouldn't be a big deal, but today it was a very big deal, because the dogs were inside. We are having our eaves repaired and the workers are not fans of dogs. So they are spending a lot of time in the den. And as much as the workers are not fans of dogs...the dogs are not fans of mail people...sorry daddy. Every time the dogs hear the mail lady, they go nuts, way nuts. Today this scared the begeesus out of John. The boy crawled like his life depended on it. He practically levitated and screamed his head off as he launched himself onto me. The poor little guy was on me like white on rice for the next half hour, his eyes wide with fear. I could feel his little heart racing!

The whole thing actually reminded me of my shining moment on the sorority's flag football team. Yes, I know, I am an unlikely football player, and I am assuming this is why the girls decided to throw me the ball against the scariest (in my opinion) team in the league. The one play I know the name of (and what it means), the play action. I tried to talk some sense into the coaches, Tate and Dave...and I tried to talk some sense into the quarterbacks, Traci and Holly, but everyone told me it would be ok. Yeah right. The other team never saw it coming. Well, I caught it, which in itself is the most significant part of the story, but seriously reconsidered this lone act of athleticism when I realized the track star had me in her sights. I had the wherewithal to know that although this was flag football there would be a serious tackle involved...the penalty would be worth it to teach this little girl a big lesson. I had never known raw fear like that and I ran my arse off. I ran like a rabid animal was planning to enjoy ME for his evening meal. I couldn't even feel my legs. Well, I scored a freakin' touchdown. We lost the game, but I will never ever forget the day that my life flashed before my eyes. One of the proudest moments of my college career.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, that is so funny! I mean, about you, not John. John's is funny in a sad way, for sure. But, at least he's crawling!!!!!

BrandyLee said...

Yippee for the crawler! Sorry it happened under the rather unfortunate circumstance of being scared silly...but hooray all the same! April, your story made me laugh out loud!! Go ADX football!