Monday, September 10, 2007

8 Months Old

Well, it's official. John is a getting closer and closer to trading in his baby card! In fact, today was his first day of "school". When John was born we signed him up for the mother's day out program at the church down the street. We really didn't know anything about the program, except that everyone LOVES it. So we didn't really know where we would be with the whole daycare situation and we knew we wouldn't get in until at least NEXT year. And even if we did, we could turn down our spot if we didn't need it. So we signed up and didn't think about it again. Until last week, when a sweet lady called and told me John would start school today. Apparently, there was a last minute cancellation and we got in this year. It took me a few minutes to warm up to the idea...but now we are so excited for this opportunity for John and me!! At meet the teacher, which was held on Friday, John and I enjoyed getting to know his teachers and meeting all the other babies. We both had so much fun and I felt great about this new adventure. Six babies (John, and another John, Joshua, Courtney, Penelope and Meghan) and his teachers, Miss Amy, Miss Sharon and Miss Stacy.




So today was the big day and besides the monsoonal flood we experienced it was a perfect day! John had the added treat of Tate going in late to work and joining us on our trip to school. We entered the school and shook off the water like dogs before handing John over the door, stepped to the side before making eye contact with the boy and held our breath for a few seconds waiting to hear the screams. With all the bustle of the school we were sure we just couldn't hear them, so Tate poked his head back around the corner and our little boy was content, playing on the mat with the new fun toys. I was so very proud of the little guy at that point and completely relieved!! So we got the heck out of there before anything changed. I GOT SO MUCH DONE THIS MORNING, in addition to enjoying a nice long shower, 2 cups of coffee and a extra tasty bowl of cereal. I knocked many items off my to-do list, and even indulged in a pedicure. As the 5.5 hour school day ticked away, I was continually waiting to get the phone call informing me that my child was a wreck and needed to be picked up. When no such phone call was received, I was so excited to hear about John's day. I got there a few minutes early to find that he was one of only 3 children still there and he was sound asleep. Sweet baby boy! John's teacher gave him a great review and said that although there were a few tears shed throughout the day, he had a great day and was super sweet. I understand that he was very curious about all the other babies and spent a lot of time just watching. John is the only baby not yet crawling so I am sure he was so fascinated with how those kids were getting around. Maybe this will motivate the kid to get moving himself!

Look ma, my first report card!


John ate at lunch, not great, but he ate. He didn't take his bottle from Miss Stacy. He has a hard time taking a bottle from me too, I thought the problem was that the food source was too near. But apparently he just wants to do it himself. Mr. Independent drank half the bottle on the floor at home. Crazy kid!

One big surprise, John was the star napper. The little guy is so hit or miss at home, but for his first day of school his was quite impressive. Two naps, lasting over an hour each and while other babies were screaming their heads off. Go figure.

Our afternoon was tons of fun, as all the crap I had to do was done and we could just play. I think this is going to be a great experience for both of us and also gradually get me used to the idea of letting go and entertaining the thought of going back to work part time. We shall see.

So in addition to John's new Monday routine we have all the updates of the past month! Where do we begin!?! Teeth, teeth and more teeth. John has 8 beauties filling out that grin. And I understand we are due a few months reprieve as molars usually don't make their appearance until well after the first birthday. THANK HEAVENS! The dining experience has been updated with this recent development and John is "chewing" more and more. We are gradually adding more solid foods, but the eager beaver has to be watched as he can often bite off more than he can chew and get a little choked up. And as noted earlier, John is all about doing things himself. I still have control over the spoon, but don't dare try and tilt that sippy cup up for him or a full fledged tantrum is sure to surface. I LOVE IT! The hard part is not cracking up. Ask Tate, nothing makes me more angry than when someone laughs at my frustrations...but I am having a really hard time containing myself.

John continues to amaze me with all that he is learning. His little mind is growing and taking in so much these days. He loves mirrors and knows that that boy in the glass is none other than himself. He laughs and laughs at himself and loves to interact with his real mommy and his mirror mommy, often reaching back to touch me while he giggles at that image. John also figured out shadows this month and started playing with his own during meal time. I was getting a tad frustrated one day while feeding the kid, when I couldn't get him to pay attention. For some reason he was just staring at the wall. Finally I realized that he was fascinated with the shadow I was making while moving the spoon back and forth between his bowl and his mouth. He looked at the wall, then looked at the light and then focused on my hand. Then much to my surprise he started flailing his arms about and watching his own shadow on the wall. That's my little physicist, studying up on optics. Proud momma here!

I am so loving this age right now. Seeing this little person and his opinions gets me so excited about who John is going to grow to be. But for now, we work on the little parts and enjoy every day that we have together. John is a big hugger, and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have that entire tiny body lunging towards me with those arms outstretched. I am quite certain that will NEVER get old. We continue to work on the crawling and babbling. I love hearing that little voice, especially in the morning when he wakes....that is if he wakes after 6:30!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a little baby genius! It amazes me that he realized how to make a shadow. And, I bet he'll be crawling in no time after he watches the other babies crawling. Thanks for the great update!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that school worked out! You will truly enjoy that day and it will get you recharged as a Mommy to face the rest of the week! What a sweetie pie!

Anonymous said...

John has his own backpack! How cute is that! I bet all the little girl babies already have a crush on him - he's so handsome in his first day of school outfit.

BrandyLee said...

Oh my gosh...I have tears in my eyes reading all the wonderful updates on Mr. John! It makes me remember when Ava was that small and going through all those fun milestones. I'm so happy for you both that school is going so well!! Girl, you deserve some time to yourself and to get things done!