Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring Blog Break

Sorry I have been AWOL for so long. Many of you have emailed to make sure everything is ok, so I just wanted to post quickly to let you know that we are all doing good! I just have had so much to do with taxes, insurance, house projects, etc, that posting had to take a backseat.

A few items, and then I will fill in the holes once I find time.

John saw the geneticist last Thurday and confirmed that he has craniosynostosis suggestive of Crouzon's. Dr. W did not order a DNA test as he felt it was unnecessary to proceed with treatment, but we will likely do this testing in the future whenever John is sedated for some other reason. We got a great prognosis for John and fantastic information that Sweet Tater and future children are highly unlikely to be affected. We have set up an appointment for next week to meet with the "Team", craniofacial surgeon and neurosurgeon, to discuss interventions.

Poor kid also has an appointment set up for this Friday with a surgeon to set up a time to repair his hernia. It is so strange to me that with everything else going on I am not freaking out about this. Apparently it is very common in baby boys and the surgery is one of the most routine procedures done. This also offers a sedated opportunity for our neuro opthalmologist to perform a more in depth examination of John's eyes. And possibly an opportunity to have a ct scan under the same sedation. We shall see.

So with these two bits of information I felt our plate was full. Oh but nay. On Friday, while out to lunch with friends, John became fussy and clingy. I picked him up from his high chair and he was on fire...we left early and headed to the pharmacy to pick up an antibiotic for a sinus infection before I got home to take his temperature. 104.2!!!! I nearly had a heart attack, but managed to get some motrin down the boy and call his pediatrician. I gave him a cool bath and called Tate to tell him that if his temp didn't go down I was heading to Children's. Luckily, his fever progressively decreased and John is doing fine. I was so concerned this was linked to everything else, but apparently it was just a fever virus. I tell you, my heart can't take much more!!!

We are battling allergies, sinus issues, and perhaps headaches, so sleep is kind of iffy these days. I hate all this for my sweet boy, but hopefully we can get things under control soon. I must say, when he had the fever he was the cuddliest little bear, and I loved holding him for his naps...besides the fact that I was terrified that something terrible was happening, it was a very sweet afternoon.

Ok, I will try my best to be better in the next few days with the blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello John Tate and April, from Ken and Kelly Hutchinson in Houston, TX. I learned today that you have a Blog. I must admit that my generation isnt up on what a Blog is and why people do these and yours is the first one I have ever seen! It is obvious that a person with a baby and family spread all over the place would want a venue to keep everyone connected, but otherwise I dont see the purpose (I will do some exploring and see what they are). How is that for living in the dark ages? Ken and I both see ourselves as computer literate too! Ha.

Congratulations about the news of Rory coming soon and we are now able to keep up to date about our lovable John Tater Tot. We miss not seeing him and you guys very much.

I know you have your hands full. My mom said that when you have kids you cease being a "human being" you become a "human doing". Multi tasking personified.

Ken and I are not working at the moment, Ken sold his business last June and is temporarily retired and I had no choice but to stop working because I was always gone with him. We had an insane moment and bought a house on the island of Roatan and I am hoping we will move there for a while. We are currently on the fence, ready to go one way or the other about whether we take the boat down there before hurricane season starts. Ken is already bored (ADA) and wants to work again. He is waiting/talking to a guy about a good opportunity to buy into a business and if it turns out to be as great as we are told we wont move to Roatan yet. I dont know what is up, not yet.

Our thoughts are with you. I wish we lived across the street from you and all of our family so we could do the "it takes a village" thing. "No one stays in one place anymore...." Love, Kelly and Ken