A year ago, life was so different. Tate and I worried about our 401ks, what we were doing Friday night, our next trip, if the yard looked nice, if the credit card statement balanced with every single receipt, what next gourmet meal I would cook, and dentist appointments. We worried about our student loans, if a democrat was going to be elected president, where we would eat breakfast Saturday morning, and if we could make it to Wurstfest and Fiesta. We worried if we were paying too much for phone and internet service, if the dogs were happy, the inside of our cars were clean (well at least the prius) and if I was wearing shoes that matched my outfit and handbag...at least I worried about this.
We still worry a ton, but just about different things. We now worry whether John is happy, whether he is healthy, if we have the right pediatrician, if he is in the best mothers day out program, if we read to him enough, if we hug him enough. We worry if we are putting enough money into his 529, and if his bath water is warm enough. We worry if the floors are clean enough to eat off of, if its too cold to go out without a hat, if the air conditioning filter really collects 99% of all allergens. We worry if a democrat is going to be elected president and we worry even more about our student loans and if they will be paid off by the time John goes to college :). We also continue to worry about our 401ks/IRAs and whether we will ever be able to afford to travel again. We worry on the 31st if there is enough money to cover the mortgage and we worry if we have enough in savings should we need it, since we never seem to have time to check these things out anymore. Tate still worries about the gourmet meals and if they will ever come back and we worry about how painful those molars must be. We worry that John will have every opportunity we dream for him and we worry that he doesn't know just how much we love him.
It's a totally different world, but so incredibly perfect. John has made us better people and more in tune with who we are. We have a better idea of what we want for our future, and John's future, than we could have ever seen had John not entered our lives one January evening. John has brought Tate and I so much closer as I think we both see a new aspect of our love created by this little guy. I think we are (most times) more kind with one another and less selfish, despite the fact that we are exhausted all the time. This little family of mine is the most precious gift I could ever have. These boys are so dear to me and I can't even remember what life meant to me before.
I love you both to pieces!
1 comment:
April,
How appropriate to be philosophical at this juncture- how quickly one year has passed!
How I wish all parents had the attitude, insight, LOVE and patience you and Tate have.John is so lucky and we are so proud.
Papa
Post a Comment