Sunday, November 04, 2007

let's try that again

Here's hoping next week goes a tad more smoothly than last week. It started with a nursing strike and ended with a trip to the doctor to rule out an ear infection. Tate has been sickly for 2 weeks now, our moms got sick while visiting, and I started feeling the yucky throat on Friday, so I decided to take John in to make sure we weren't dealing with something more serious than stubborness and allegries. No infections, but a pretty persistent cold. I am quite frustrated with the whole confusion of whether John is dealing with allergies or a cold. I guess that goes with the gig, huh? And the treatment is the same either way...but at least I will know when to keep him away from music class and school. It also turns out John is teething, his canines are pushing through. I thought they were supposed to come in after the molars!!! But this might explain part of his fussiness during mealtimes.

We have stuck close to home, except going to music class and yoga class (prior to realizing we had a cold). We also enjoyed a few walks and lots of bonding time. I attended a Le Leche League meeting looking for suggestions on the nursing strike. I impemented many of these and got frustrated and tried once again to introduce formula. John went on a full out eating strike for the rest of the day. I just don't have the heart to force it on him yet. So I pump, and pump, and pump some more. The housework has slipped to a very sad state and except for Halloween I haven't accomplished a thing. We missed Eli's birthday party and had to cancel our dinner with Tate's cousin Katie and her husband Kyle. So although it wasn't an awful week, it wasn't our best, and I am hoping we can start digging out tomorrow. Poor Tate also had to work most of the weekend. He did get home early enough today to enjoy a late afternoon snack on the front porch. We love these cooler temps and no mosquitos!!

On Saturday we only got out to pick up Tate's dry cleaning and fill up the car. John was crazy fussy. He seems to be ok, until we make a stop and then I have to strap him back in. It got ugly. I mean, real ugly. So I am throwing things to John that came out of his diaper bag in hopes they will appease his anger. I got through all the toys and back up pacis, I tried to give him his sippy, which he threw at the window. So I just gave him the unopened can of puffs, my last resort. After a minute or so, all was quite. I see in the rearview the reason why...

I can't believe he got the foil wrapper thing off.

If anyone has any suggestions on dealing with a nursing strike, I am all ears!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, April. Sounds like you've had a tough time this past week. Hope this week is better for you. So, let me get this straight, no nursing, but no formula either? Have you tried mixing half BM with half formula and maybe some rice cereal to boot? I've read about some moms doing this to ease the transition from BM to formula.

April said...

Thanks for your suggestion Jennifer.

We have periodically tried introducing formula since John was about 5 months old. The last few tries have involved 1 part formula to 3 parts breastmilk. And this try I speak about in this post was 1 part formula to 7 parts breastmilk. Thus the eating strike ensued. The kid apparently has very sensitive taste buds, and nothing is getting past him. It's baffling to me as he will eat such a variety of solids. Knowing this aversion to formula I have even done just a splash of formula to no avail. The most frustrating thing is I work so hard to get that breastmilk and then have to throw it out once the formula has been mixed in. He knows what he wants, I just don't think I can keep up this pumping gig for too long. I am at it 5 times a day for 20-30 minutes. That is about 2 hours a day.

I just don't want to go through the fight of formula once we have made it this far. I only have 2 months to go before whole milk and honestly if we can make it one more month I am going to try the whole milk then. I know most everyone thinks I am crazy and catering to my son, but we just got the sleeping thing down and I don't want to rock his world now that we are doing so great in that arena. I know I could do it, but it just isn't worth it to me right now.

Jennifer said...

Maybe John has a milk allergy. Have you tried soy formula or organic formula even?

April said...

Yes, I have tried them all, at least all that similac and infamil offer. I also tried one organic (not sure which brand). We have a can of nestle to try next.

He did have a sensitivity to milk in my diet when he was younger, fussy, gassy, poopy...but I am full dairy now and he isn't having problems with the breastmilk. And he has even tried cheese and yogurt and had no problems.

Anonymous said...

Well, darn. You HAVE tried it all. I guess you are bessie the cow for a little longer. :) Although you might jump the gun and go to whole milk with maybe a vitamin supplement or something. Will John take a bottle of formula from Tate or a babysitter? I've also heard that babies know where the good stuff comes from and hold out for that from Mom, but will take formula from others.

April said...

I do need to get Tate involved on the formula gig...but that presents a problem in itself as he has those long working hours and can't be consistent. Maybe this weekend...

BrandyLee said...

All I have to say is...WHAT A WONDERFUL MOMMY JOHN HAS! What a lucky little boy to have such a sweet, concerned and thoughful Momma. I know 10 years from now you'll both look back on this and chuckle. Right after the chuckle, ground his little behind for being so stubborn ;)
You really are doing a fabulous job, April. Hang in there, girl.