Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cord Blood

After much thought and research, Tate and I decided that we would donate our cord blood after John's delivery. We contemplated the investment of banking the blood for our family but weighing our need of this resource with the possibilities of helping someone in need we decided donation was best for us. We are not predisposed to any of the risk factors, we are not ethnic or racial minorities, we do not have a child or family member in need of cord blood transplantation, etc. But we do have this amazing gift to give. We also both agreed that if we donate, hopefully (if by chance John or any other member of our family were in need), some other family might also choose the same route. Just imagine, if everyone donated their cord blood there would be a huge supply in the registry with which many families could benefit and valuable research could be done. Working here near Parkland makes me think what a huge waste that donation isn't performed here at this institution. With all the babies that are born, many minority babies at that, cord blood is just being discarded after each of the 15,000+ yearly births.

So what can they do with cord blood? Well, I am sure you all have heard the debates in congress and elsewhere regarding stem cell research. Cord Blood contains valuable stem cells. These stem cells are currently being used to treat diseases such as leukemias and lymphomas, multiple myeloma, severe aplastic anemia, severe combined immunodeficiency, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome, hemoglobinopathies, Hurler's syndrome, myelodysplastic and myeloproliferative disorder and familial erythrophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Research is underway to determine its usefulness in treating Alzheimer's disease, cartilage regeneration, diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, spinal cord injury and stroke.

I don't understand why there isn't a huge push to collect this blood in addition to the embryonic stem cells. I am sure there is a difference, but this blood is easy to obtain so I say lets get it! Let's use this blood for current proven uses and continue researching ways to treat many diseases that currently don't have many treatment options.

The process is completely free. There is only one place that I found that accepts donations throughout the United States and that is CryoBanks International. You can download the forms online here or call 800-869-8608 for more information.

Well as it always seems to go, after we went thru the process of making this decision, I completed the paperwork, had my doctor complete her part and discussed with her the process...we can't donate. UGH!!! Since Tate and I traveled to Sayulita Mexico in February we have been eliminated as possible donors because this region is a Malaria DANGER ZONE...I didn't even know this when we traveled there...that is kinda scary. But to donate you have to have not traveled to one of these regions within a year of the birth. So back to square one, but I think we may be too close to birth choose banking now...and I don't know if the benefits outweigh the costs at this point in Cord Blood research anyway. But I hope for future babies we can consider this option and I hope more people will do so as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ape, So cool that you tried to donate. I read this very interesting article on BabyCenter that stated that it is really rare for a child to be able to use their own cord blood and only a 25% chance that a sibling can use it. You actually have a better chance (about 50%) to find a donor in the national registry. I am going to check to see if I can donate..however I am in Tyler!! Keri

April said...

Keri you so can do it! This company uses a service similar to fedex I think, so they take it from anywhere. Check out the paperwork and give them a call...I think it is a pretty big company, but every time I called I spoke with a very helpful knowledgeable person. So nice!

Anonymous said...

April, Can you bank the cord blood? Chrissie